[ale] Router recommendation(s)

Derek Atkins derek at ihtfp.com
Fri Dec 26 11:16:36 EST 2014

JD,

On Fri, December 26, 2014 9:52 am, JD wrote:
> On 12/26/2014 09:20 AM, Derek Atkins wrote:
>> I installed a RouterBoard RB750-GL as my main router.
>
> I've replaced working mikotek/routerboards at clients with pfsense boxes
> to get
> better control over bandwidth management and greater stability under load.

I haven't tried to do much b/w management, nor have I seen any
instability.  Maybe your network is more loaded than mine, or your
definition of load (and stability) is different than mine.  But in the
four months I've had it deployed I've had no issues.

> Still, the routerboards ARE nice, though they had to be called to the
> carpet to
> get the company to honour the GPL. Looked at the way they distribute the
> GPL
> parts a few months ago - have to fill out a form and send US$45 for them
> provide the code, I vaguely recall.  Hopefully there is a mirror of that
> stuff
> somewhere else by now. Basically almost all of routerOS is GPL software.
> http://www.mikrotik.com/downloadterms.html
>
> Anyway - getting the GPL code from them just "feels nasty", so not so sure
> want to give a company like that any money at all. We each have to decide
> where
> we are on that scale.

Yep.  After spending a few years with the DD-WRT croud I was tired of
having to flash my own devices and *hope* they work.  It was very nice to
just buy a device for $50 and have it *just work*.  I care less about the
source code; I have no plans to rebuild it myself.  There is only one
feature that I'd really like which is missing from my RB: IPv6 policy
routing.

However I don't think I could buy a ready-to-install pfSense box for $60.
I would love to be proven wrong on that.

-derek

--
       Derek Atkins                 617-623-3745