[ale] What's the magic in getting a video file created?

Jim Lynch ale_nospam at fayettedigital.com
Fri Dec 26 10:00:12 EST 2014

I'm using SimpleScreenRecorder to record a short demonstration of a web
site.

I've built a half dozen combinations of containers and codecs that all
worked fine with FF and Chrome on Linux but never found the right
combination that any browser on Windows 7 or 8 could view. I'm very
unfamiliar with video formats, but have learned a bunch, albeit not
enough.  I can't seem to find the answer on Google.  I know that it can
be done, after all Youtube does it.

I suspect Youtube might be using flash.

Anyway I thought for sure HTML5 would work on IE 11, but no, it says
H.264 isn't a supported codec. Huh?  Neither is mp4.  Nor could I get
any variety of avi working.

So if someone knows the magic, please tell me.  I'd keep trying things
but I don't have a MS system with anything later than IE 8 so I have to
ask others for help and they are getting tired of it.  :( For that
matter, so am I.  ;)

For the HTML5 test I used the <video> element:

         <video src="vid8x.mp4" id="movie" controls height="1024" />

file vid8.mp4
vid8.mp4: ISO Media, MPEG v4 system, version 1
I think it was the H.264 codec.  I don't know how to determine that from
the file.

Thanks,
Jim.