[ale] RFC2217 serial driver

Chris Fowler cfowler at outpostsentinel.com
Tue Dec 23 15:27:02 EST 2014

Has anyone used any RFC2217 type serial driver for Linux? Possibly a terminal server manufacturer has one?

RFC2217 is a standard where ioctl() calls on the TTY are sent over TCP to the terminals erver and implemented there. If you change the speed
of the TTY then the speed will change on the terminal server.

Serial over Ethernet usig pseudos is not the same thing. This setup is inferior to RFC2217 because TTY settings are not sent. If you toggle RTS on the pseudo
then that event is not executed on the remote server. I have implementation of RCF2217 servers running in Linux.

The driver design is a RFC2217 client with TTY driver in the kernel.

If I could find a reference TTY driver implementation in Linux, maybe a pseudo one, then it might be possible I could implement the RFC2217 piece.

Chris