[ale] Mysterious home network slowdowns

JD jdp at algoloma.com
Tue Dec 16 10:55:02 EST 2014

On 12/16/2014 10:16 AM, Pete Hardie wrote:
> I certainly will be using divide& conquer as my methodology
>
> What I lack is knowledge about useful tools to help diagnose - Jim K mentioned
> iperf, which I will be looking into, but
> beyond that I'm left with ping and wireshark

Do the connections match the expectations?  100base-tx or 1000base-tx as
expected according to ifconf?  Does iperf data between systems match the
expectations for those connections?  Are there any dropped packets? If so, swap
cables, test again. Same? Swap the switch port, test again. Same, try a
different NIC.  Do that over and over changing 1 thing at a time until you nail
down the issue.

If the router seems to be the problem, a $15 cheap GigE switch can be added to a
LAN without changing any other settings. Plug all wired connections into the
switch and 1 connection from the switch into the router.  I have 3 cheap
switches like this on my home network (avoiding wifi) with a 100base-tx router
and don't see any slowdowns between LAN systems since they don't go through the
slower router ports.  650Mbps file transfers happen daily here and iperf shows
950+Mbps even across 2 switches.

Test and simplify.