[ale] OT: Windows Programming

JD jdp at algoloma.com
Sun Dec 14 14:32:55 EST 2014

On 12/14/2014 01:37 PM, parspes wrote:
>  Michael Potter <michael at potter.name> wrote:
>>
>> What about some way to cross compile on Linux, but run on Windows?
>>
>> I seem to recall some tools that do this, but I Google is no help in
>> finding them.

I'm sure my info is dated, but when I was a cross-platform C/C++ developer, the
gcc/g++ compilers could do this for console/daemons only. Not for GUIs.

Most of the google hits today seemed to be about ARM target from Intel sources.

At the time, I think there were licence restrictions on the win32 API. We used a
binary compatible GUI layout layer/manager, but everything else was recompiled
per platform. I don't recall the exact number of platforms that we supported,
but 12 seems about right.  We used XVT, Neuron-Data and Visix Galaxy at the
different jobs - Galaxy was by far the best, IMHO, but also the most expensive.
Java killed most of those tools.

I vaguely remember Borland pushing CLR/CLI? in the early 2000s.  Qt and GTK (or
their C++ versions) took off since then, so most developers target those for any
cross-platform GUI needs for C/C++.

OTOH, there are always the scripting or byte-code languages like Java if you can
work with the limitations/trade-offs those bring.