[ale] NUC vs. RPi mail server

Alex Carver agcarver+ale at acarver.net
Fri Dec 12 15:48:20 EST 2014

On 2014-12-12 08:55, Ted W. wrote:

> I've been thinking on this very topic for a few weeks now myself. I'm
> currently hosting my mail server on a super economy RackSpace cloud
> instance that has the same specs (256MB RAM, 10GB disk, single proc) as
> a RaspberryPi and it runs fine there. Granted, I can count the number of
> spam messages I receive per month on one hand... A NUC sounds like
> overkill IMO. If you think you more power to handle some additional
> functionality, check out the BeagleBone Black or BananaPi. Both are just
> slightly more expensive with much better processors and more RAM. I've
> been interested in the BananaPi for some time as it's the same board as
> the Model B RPi with a SATA controller, GigE, a better processor and
> more RAM.

Good points.  The RPi B/B+ is 512MB of RAM already, four USB ports but
only 100 MBit Ethernet (I don't think GigE is critical for a low volume
email server anyway).  Even 700MHz is faster than the current P2's 233
MHz and 512 MB of RAM is more than I've got installed (180 MB).  USB 2.0
hard drives would run just as fast as or faster than the IDE drives in
the P2.  Given all that comparison the RPi would probably be just fine.
 The only other thing I use the current server for is a remote log
destination (syslog-ng) for various devices and an MRTG monitor for the
main router.