[ale] Using eCryptFS to secure "at rest" data. How to mount at boot?

JD jdp at algoloma.com
Tue Dec 9 17:31:48 EST 2014

On 12/09/2014 03:20 PM, Raj Wurttemberg wrote:
> I'm trying to find a way to use eCryptFS to secure the "at rest" data on a
> server.
>
> I have ecryptfs installed and I understand how to encrypt a directory. What
> I am missing, is how to mount the ecryptfs encrypted folder at boot (i.e.
> fstab).
>
> I have been Googling for a few hours but everything I have found is how to
> mount an encrypted home folder, which is not what I am looking to
> accomplish.

Perhaps you want to create an encrypted partition and mount it?
There are a few different ways to accomplish this depending on whether RAID
and/or LVM are involved or not.  Additionally, if the entire OS is encrypted,
things change slightly.  If boot is also encrypted, more changes.

Sadly, the steps are distro specific and some distros make it harder to add
later than others.

For my limited needs, choosing encrypted installation during the install has
been the easiest way.