[ale] Debian fork thoughts?

Solomon Peachy pizza at shaftnet.org
Wed Dec 3 13:40:48 EST 2014

On Wed, Dec 03, 2014 at 12:16:45PM -0500, David Millians wrote:
> This is the first I've heard of this. You're saying that, for those of us
> with servers and thus no need for Gnome, we can still use sysV init?

Speaking of Debian and its upcoming Jessie release, everything should be
fully functional without using systemd, and if not, file a bug.  I've
said elsewhere that they've blocked releases for less.

Post-Jessie, on the other hand, who can tell.  It depends almost
entirely on what upstream projects (eg GNOME) decide to do.

> If that's the case, there's been a whole bunch of hooraw about nothing.

In all fairness, at the time GNOME scrapped its
tied-to-specific-distros, barely-functional-and-quite-buggy polkit
support in favor of logind, there wasn't another implementation of the
logind API.  Now there is (systemd-shim); it just took someone caring
enough to write it instead of demainding someone else write it for them.

Also in the interest of fairness, the logind API shim is bare-bones,
implmenting only the minimum to support the basic single-user use cases.
More complex stuff simply doesn't work, and probably never will.

 - Solomon
--
Solomon Peachy        		       pizza at shaftnet dot org
Delray Beach, FL                          ^^ (email/xmpp) ^^