[ale] Are the kernel developers a-holes? (was: Debian fork thoughts?)

James Sumners james.sumners at gmail.com
Wed Dec 3 11:50:50 EST 2014

It's a common personality trait in very smart people. They have the
capacity to do amazing things, but they more often than not have abysmal
social skills.

But I'm going to side with the kernel developers in regard to systemd. The
developers of systemd have a history of dumping projects no one asked for
on the community and then not supporting them, ignoring valid bug reports,
or just plain abandoning them. But they don't do most of that before
they've already managed to get the project to be a major dependency of
other projects.

On Wednesday, December 3, 2014, Todor Fassl <fassl.tod at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 12/03/2014 09:12 AM, leam hall wrote:
>
>> On Wed, Dec 3, 2014 at 10:01 AM, Solomon Peachy <pizza at shaftnet.org>
>> wrote:

>>> I'm sorry, what do you mean by "the originator?"
>>>

>>  From the wikipedia article:
>>
>> "Poettering complained that the "Open source community is full of
>> assholes, and I probably more than most others am one of their most
>> favourite targets." Poettering went on to blame Linus Torvalds and
>> other kernel developers for the state of the community."
>>

> I can see why someone would say that. Just to get on the kernel developers
> email list is a dick size war. I have a friend who believes nobody ever
> does anything just to be nice. If someone does anything nice, it's really
> just to get laid. I always tell him he's projecting. But the open source
> community almost makes me think he's right.
>
> I'm blind and I'm deeply involved in the blind technology community. Every
> few months, some blind person or group of blind people comes out with yet
> another distro for the blind.  It lasts anywhere from a month to a year and
> then it's gone. Or else they come out with a web site with a wiki,
> downloads, etc, for  blind sys admins. Never mind that there is already 6
> or 7 of them out there begging for help.
>
> I think people are simply looking at this wrong. Just being a talented
> programmer does not mean you can make a difference. Too many people say,
> "Well, I wrote this for myself and if other people can use it, great. But
> don't expect me to lift a finger to make it work for you." You might as
> well be playing with yourself. If you really want to show how big your dick
> is, you have to make your stuff work for others.
>
> When my buddy and I are arguing about what it means to be "nice", I am not
> claiming that some people are just nice.  I am claiming that some people
> are nice because it makes them feel good. I think too many open source
> developers take a short sighted approach to being nice. In the end, they
> are not going to get anything out of it. They're not going to get any
> satisfaction because nobody is going to use their stuff and if anything,
> they are going to gain a reputation for being an a-hole.

James Sumners
http://james.roomfullofmirrors.com/

"All governments suffer a recurring problem: Power attracts pathological
personalities. It is not that power corrupts but that it is magnetic to the
corruptible. Such people have a tendency to become drunk on violence, a
condition to which they are quickly addicted."

CH:D 59