[ale] Debian fork thoughts?

leam hall leamhall at gmail.com
Wed Dec 3 10:12:16 EST 2014

On Wed, Dec 3, 2014 at 10:01 AM, Solomon Peachy <pizza at shaftnet.org> wrote:
> On Wed, Dec 03, 2014 at 09:51:53AM -0500, leam hall wrote:
>> Nothing I've heard about systemd makes me think it's an improvement
>> for the standard server. Nothing I've heard about the originator
>> changes that opinion.
>
> I'm sorry, what do you mean by "the originator?"

>From the wikipedia article:

"Poettering complained that the "Open source community is full of
assholes, and I probably more than most others am one of their most
favourite targets." Poettering went on to blame Linus Torvalds and
other kernel developers for the state of the community."

>> Just because the developers have moved on does not make it a good idea.
>
> Blindly dismissing something due to hersay is not a good idea either, FYI.

I have been working on servers for nearly two decades. Nothing blind
about my opinion.

> FWIW, systemd has demonstrated itself to be a considerable improvement
> based on my experiences using it on a daily, side-by-side basis with
> non-systemd deployments.  That has nothing to do with "what I've heard",
> and everything to do with actual, hands-on experience.

systemd, along with smf, have been pointless academic exercises in my
day to day experience. The fact that the community of developers is
along for the ride makes me wonder how many servers they actually
support on a day to day basis.

>From another perspective, if you're looking at something as complex as
docker or zones, the complexity of systemd and smf might have value.
Absent a real use case and proven need, however, I find systemd
lacking.

Leam

--
Mind on a Mission