[ale] Debian fork thoughts?

Solomon Peachy pizza at shaftnet.org
Mon Dec 1 19:22:20 EST 2014

On Mon, Dec 01, 2014 at 06:51:26PM -0500, James Sumners wrote:
> Really? I'll let the comments on [1] do most of the talking. I wanted to
> link the article that post is about, but the article author changed the
> content. It originally detailed how you'd have to install systemd to
> install Jessie, and then jump through some hoops to get it removed after OS
> install.

Systemd is *default* in Jessie, so of course it's installed and running
unless you say otherwise; but it's not intended to be automatically
enabled if you're upgrading an older system -- if it happens, file a
bug, that's what release freezes are for!

So, if you don't like systemd to be running, turn it off and uninstall
(most of) it -- It's a simple apt-get command.

Continuing on, If you are objecting to libraries remaining on the hard
disk, you might as well be complaining that you need e2fsprogs installed
when you don't have any ext2/3/4 filesystems -- because the libaries are
used by other tools and it had to be enabled at compile time or not at
all.

Sure, one could mangle everything to load every potential feature and
dependency at runtime, but that's a lot of work to save a couple hunded
kilobytes of disk space at a time.  You're welcome to do it if it means
that much to you; I'm sure deb package maintainers will happily accept
patches.  Otherwise everyone has much has better things to do.  Like
knocking out actual bugs in Jessie.

 - Solomon
--
Solomon Peachy        		       pizza at shaftnet dot org
Delray Beach, FL                          ^^ (email/xmpp) ^^