[ale] Debian fork thoughts?

Jeremy T. Bouse jeremy.bouse at UnderGrid.net
Mon Dec 1 13:17:43 EST 2014

Brief disclaimer beforehand... I'm a Debian Developer and have been
part of the project since 2001.

Now, that said, I'm not giving this "fork" any of my time based solely
on the behavior of the anti-systemd individuals that have, and still,
caused disruptions on the mailing lists, irc chat rooms and an other
medium they could. They have tried repeated to work against the
established methods to do things and when they couldn't pigeon-hole and
force the results they wanted caused even more problems. Finally they
have decided to fork the project which as someone else already pointed
out is going to be a derivative that is almost 99% original to upstream
just simply stripping out the entire systemd system which already can be
removed and use SysV init with a shim for systemd that allows those
aspects that have hard-coded dependencies on systemd (namely GNOME comes
to mind as the biggest reason requiring systemd).

If they could have found a better way to argue their point I might give
what they have to say some bearing but they have been unable to do so
and I highly doubt they ever will. I expect this forked derivative to be
very volatile and as an IT professional wouldn't use it for anything
more than a throw away virtual machine if I did look at it.