[ale] mockbuild??

Derek Atkins warlord at MIT.EDU
Fri Aug 29 07:15:52 EDT 2014

Sean Kilpatrick <kilpatms at gmail.com> writes:

> I am trying to get a game or two installed on this Cent)S-7 install --
> It's based on Red Hat,which clearly doesn't believe anyone EVER gets
> stuck on hold with Comcast.
>
> Anyway,
> I download the file and run this command:
>
> rpm -i kdegames-4.3.4-5.el6.src.rpm
>
> and get told this (five times!)
>
> warning: user mockbuild does not exist - using root
> warning: group mockbuild does not exist - using root
>
> Clues would be appreciated, as would a repo that has at least some of
> the kde game set.

The RPM was built on a koji system using mock, so the package was
installed as user "mockbuild" instead of "root", and the .spec file
didn't specify to use user root explicitly, so it tried to install as
the user the package was built with.

You can generally ignore this warning.

HOWEVER, you're "installed" a src.rpm -- which means you still need to
build it!  You can build it by hand yourself, or you could .... use mock
to build it!!!!

Personally I like using mock to build things because it means I don't
have to clutter up my system with all the random build-dependencies for
any random RPM I may decide to build.  The mock system will grab those
dependencies for you automagically.  I highly recommend it.

> Sean

-derek