[ale] forensic help needed

Sean Kilpatrick kilpatms at gmail.com
Mon Aug 25 10:31:53 EDT 2014

I >THINK< there are two possibilities:

1. Somehow the install of CentOS 7 is screwed up and I need to do an
entire reinstall.

2. There is a hardware problem, which probably means the mobo as I have
VERY recently replaced the hard drives and power supply.

Symptoms:

1. Sometimes takes two to five attempts to get the BIOS to boot when
powering on the system and, obviously, if the BIOS doesn't boot, then
the OS can't boot.

2. System loses track of routine (stored) passwords. Example:  log in to
user account and try to start Evolution (which I do not like!) and am
told that I need to re-enter my user password. WTF

3. Near-total system hang when apps crash.
   Example: solitaire hangs/crashes and takes out the GUI.  Do a Ctrl
+Alt+F2 to get to a new session and try to take a peek at /log/messages
and am informed that

< "Session bus not found. To circumvent this problem try the following
< command (with Linux and bash)
< export $(dbus-launch)
< Aborted (core dumped)

So I run that command, having no idea at all what it does, and text
editor starts up and displays the file.

But the Terminal displays this:
< Connecting to deprecated signal
< QDBusConnectionInterface::serviceOwnerChanged(QString,QString,QString)
< kbuildsycoca4 running...
< Module  "resources" is registered
< Module  "activities" is registered
< Module  "features" is registered
< This is the current thread id for Activities 140077684115200
   QThread(0x209cd50)
< These are the disabled plugins: ("activitymanager_plugin_dummy",
  "activitymanager_plugin_nepomuk")
< Initializing plugin: "activitymanager_plugin_globalshortcuts"
< This is the current thread id for Activities 140078148376768
   QThread(0x1ec00c0)
< Initializing plugin: "activitymanager_plugin_slc"
< Initializing plugin: "activitymanager_plugin_virtualdesktopswitch"
< VirtualDesktopSwitch::init
< Module  "org.kde.ActivityManager.VirtualDesktopSwitch" is registered
< Initializing plugin: "activitymanager_plugin_activityranking"
< running in thread ActivityRanking
< Initializing plugin: "activitymanager_plugin_sqlite"
< Module  "org.kde.ActivityManager.Resources.Scoring" is registered
< QDBusConnection: name 'org.kde.kglobalaccel' had owner '' but we
  thought it was ':1.9'

I have no idea what all that is trying to tell me! :(

I start prowling through the log and discover a lot is going on while I
am sound asleep. I suspect some of the data does, indeed, point a finger
at the problem, but I am hesitant to append 300 lines of a log file to
this message.

If anyone can take the time to look at a chunk of the log, please let me
know and I will send it along -- Off List.

Sean