[ale] Automatic and Persistent share mount on Windows 2008 R2?

Lightner, Jeff JLightner at dsservices.com
Fri Aug 22 17:29:36 EDT 2014

I have two data deduplication devices that do NAS style shares.   They can do NFS or CIFS (or both at same time using different shares).     The NFS shares have been there for quite some time and I successfully mount those to various HP-UX and Linux servers with no issue.

We need to try to mount to a Windows 2008 R2 server.   Today I got as far as being able to login to the Windows server and map the share to a drive letter then verify I could read and write from it.

The issue is that CIFS mount:

a)      Is only available to the user I logged in as when I did the map on the Windows side.   (This was also true when I had the Windows Admin do it using the domain administrative account.)

b)      Is not available to the services that were already started automatically at boot.   It is these services that will be writing to and reading from the drive.

So my question is how can I setup an automatic mount of a share in Windows at boot AND insure that services started will have access to read and write to it?

We did in fact try to enable NFS Services on the Windows server today but for whatever reason it puked on doing that each time and forced a reboot.    If someone knows how to enable that on Windows 2008 R2 as well as how to make a mount there persistent (similar to the way it would be if in fstab on UNIX/Linux) I’d be happy to go that route instead.

Please don’t point me at links that “might address” this if you haven’t already tried them and know they work.  After working most of the week on this I’ve not found anything that really solves it in many web searches.

Athena®, Created for the Cause™

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE: This e-mail may contain privileged

or confidential information and is for the sole use of the intended

recipient(s). If you are not the intended recipient, any disclosure,

copying, distribution, or use of the contents of this information

is prohibited and may be unlawful. If you have received this electronic

transmission in error, please reply immediately to the sender that

you have received the message in error, and delete it. Thank you.