[ale] samba broke

Chuck Payne terrorpup at gmail.com
Fri Aug 22 13:04:04 EDT 2014

With my samba set up, I always start nmd smd on the server.  Most servers
you can start with nmb, might want to check /etc/init.d to see if it still
there..

magi:~ # ps ax | grep nmb
 4172 ?        Ss     0:44 /usr/sbin/nmbd -D -s /etc/samba/smb.conf
 4173 ?        S      0:00 /usr/sbin/nmbd -D -s /etc/samba/smb.conf
27583 pts/2    S+     0:00 grep --color=auto nmb
magi:~ # ps ax | grep smb
 4144 ?        Ss     0:06 /usr/sbin/smbd -D -s /etc/samba/smb.conf
 4145 ?        S      0:02 /usr/sbin/smbd -D -s /etc/samba/smb.conf
 4172 ?        Ss     0:44 /usr/sbin/nmbd -D -s /etc/samba/smb.conf
 4173 ?        S      0:00 /usr/sbin/nmbd -D -s /etc/samba/smb.conf
27587 pts/2    S+     0:00 grep --color=auto smb
28334 ?        S      3:39 /usr/sbin/smbd -D -s /etc/samba/smb.conf

On the server in question, have you check to make sure samba working
correctly?  Try this to see what you get, need to be ran on the linux
server

smbclient -L <host> -U <user>

You should get something back like this

smbclient -L magi -U cepayne
Enter cepayne's password:
Domain=[MAGIDESIGN] OS=[Unix] Server=[Samba
3.6.12-59.23.1-3256-SUSE-SL12.3-x86_64]

	Sharename       Type      Comment
	---------       ----      -------
	users           Disk      All users
	print$          Disk      Printer Drivers
	http            Disk      Web Files
	data6           Disk      Files
	data2           Disk      Movie and more
	data3           Disk      Audio Files Vol 1
	data4           Disk      Movies Files Vol 3
	data5           Disk      Movies files Vol 4
	data1           Disk      Misc. Crap
	data7           Disk      Stuff
	vhosts          Disk      Virt Host
	movies          Disk      movies
	backup_movies   Disk      Backup of Movies
	music           Disk      music
	vhosts2         Disk      vhost volume 2
	tv_shows        Disk      TV Shows
	netlogon        Disk      Network Logon Service
	IPC$            IPC       IPC Service (magi server (Samba, SuSE))
	cepayne         Disk      Home Directories
Domain=[MAGIDESIGN] OS=[Unix] Server=[Samba
3.6.12-59.23.1-3256-SUSE-SL12.3-x86_64]

	Server               Comment
	---------            -------
	INFERNO              inferno server
	MAGI                 magi server (Samba, SuSE)
	NECROMANTEION        necromanteion.magidesign.com

	Workgroup            Master
	---------            -------
	MAGIDESIGN           MAGI
	MYGROUP              NAS-SGD
	WORKGROUP            MACMINI-B0319C

Are you using Samba is PDC? I know with Windows 7 you have to patch the
register to get to log on. What happens from your 8.1 box when you open
explorer and  do \\someip to see if you can see the share?

http://www.tldp.org/HOWTO/SMB-HOWTO-8.html

On Fri, Aug 22, 2014 at 12:27 PM, JD <jdp at algoloma.com> wrote:

> nmbd, not nmdb.
>
> If you can't ping the server from the client ... I think you've discovered
> the
> issue. ;)  That's how it works in my simple world ... but Windows name
> resolution often surprises me.
>
> On 08/22/2014 12:19 PM, Paul Cartwright wrote:
> > On 08/22/2014 12:02 PM, JD wrote:
> >> /etc/hosts on Windows?
> >> nmbd had a security issue a few weeks ago. May be been disabled?
> > in windows it is c:\windows\drivers\etc\hosts I know that one..
> >
> > nmdb?? do I need that running??
> > service nmdb start
> > Redirecting to /bin/systemctl start  nmdb.service
> > Failed to issue method call: Unit nmdb.service failed to load: No such
> > file or directory.
> >
> > hmmm
> >

> > when I tried the name of the server in windows, the error said DNS was
> > not running. when I put in the IP address, it said it couldn't get to
> > the server.

Terror PUP a.k.a
Chuck "PUP" Payne

(678) 636-9678
openSUSE -- Terrorpup
openSUSE Ambassador/openSUSE Member
Community Manager -- Southeast Linux Foundation (SELF)
freenode(irc) --terrorpup/lupinstein
Register Linux Userid: 155363

Have you tried SUSE Studio? Need to create a Live CD,  an app you want to
package and distribute , or create your own linux distro. Give SUSE Studio
a try.
See you at Southeast Linux Fest, June 19-21, 2015 in Charlotte, NC.