[ale] Zimbra - OT SugarCRM

Chris Fowler cfowler at outpostsentinel.com
Wed Aug 13 16:35:32 EDT 2014

On 08/13/2014 04:15 PM, Lightner, Jeff wrote:
> Sorry - as noted the only involvement I've had so far was the DNS record.   Whether they allow SQL queries from here to there or are using them if they do I couldn't say.
Thanks.  I've contacted them and will find out.
> Here there are certain things they think we don't need to know until they break at which point it suddenly becomes a  "Linux issue" and becomes our problem.   Our first VMWare server was like that.   It had only MS Windows guests so we weren't involved on the install or virtual setups until a simple reboot didn't fix whatever issue they were having 2 years after install at which point the MS team said it was "Linux" server that we needed to address.   The irony of having to ask MS Admins for root password on a Linux system seemed lost on them.   We've also run into it for other systems/appliances with embedded Linux run by Telecom and Network groups but usually those at least were more along the lines of assisting them than suddenly taking ownership.

Same here.  I'm getting rid of some "hobbies" of mine around the
office.  Over time as we had hardware died I've moved those duties to
RackSpace.  SugarCRM is there now.  After spending 10 hours trying to
revive the failed server I decided to add it to the growing list at RS.
One hour later we were back up.   For that software I needed their
smallest package and I calculated that it would take 7+ years of fees
for that VM to equal the 1U server I was looking at to replace the
failed hardware.

Chris