[ale] Interesting job on the ale-jobs list

leam hall leamhall at gmail.com
Wed Aug 13 16:33:04 EDT 2014

Since we occasionally talk about new people coming into the sysadmin
field, and as LOPSA is having a discussion on why people might join
the org, I found some good value in the Steel Pivot job that just hit
the ale-jobs list.

What I tend to do is look at jobs that sound interesting and see how
many of those technologies I'm familiar with and how many of the
skills I have. The gaps can become a good road map for the next few
months.

If I were just coming into the field or looking for a new job, the
next hour or so would be research, followed by an hour of resume
updating. If there was a large gap I could easily spend the next while
spinning up a few VMs to try things out and blow them up.

That's one way to become a system administrator. I don't think you can
learn it in college: black magic is frowned upon and dumb luck doesn't
come in a book.

Leam

--
Mind on a Mission