[ale] archiving backups

JD jdp at algoloma.com
Thu Aug 7 11:33:13 EDT 2014

When you start spending over $150 - I'd strongly suggest looking at 4TB HDDs
first.  You can load a crapload (technical term) of stuff on a few of those (2
copies, right?) and the hassle factor will be much less than any tape - optical
solution.  For years, I was using DVD-based backups with par2 to fight complete
data loss - still have hundreds of those disks here - many are geting to 10+ yrs
old and still work fine.  OTOH, I know that is the edge of their lifespan and
HAVE NEEDED to use the parity files to recover some data over the last 2 yrs.
It works, thankfully.

Definitely look at those larger HDDs. I cannot imagine any household having more
than 1TB of "personal" data (non-media / non-pictures) that needs to be backed
up.  Videos, photos, audio files - I can see 20TB for that ... but that is a
completely different level than 99% of us.