[ale] FREE IT Athens sponsoring RMS visit and presentation on Surveillance

Aaron Ruscetta arxaaron at gmail.com
Tue Aug 5 15:37:35 EDT 2014

I just spoke with Luke Ferguson from the well known Free IT Athens
non-profit. For anyone here unfamiliar with the group, they are an
established and respected computer refurbishing organization
providing and advocating Linux and FLOSS solutions, most
especially for applications in education and supporting under
served or minority communities. <http://www.freeitathens.org/>
ALE has worked with Free IT Athens in the past organizing
Linux installation projects and coordinating volunteer support.

Luke contacted me to share the Free IT Athens plans to have
Richard Stallman speak at the UGA campus in Athens on Tues.,
Oct. 14th, 2014, giving a presentation titled "Should We Have
More Surveillance than the USSR?"  Details are on the event's
IndieGogo page where they are seeking some modest donations
to make this event happen:
<https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/help-us-get-richard-stallman-to-the-gnu-south>

As karma happens, I had just made plans this morning to be in
the Athens area tomorrow afternoon to drop off a BMW motorbike
for service, so Luke and I are now scheduled to get together for lunch
and discuss the RMS visit and planning further. I'm thinking that if
schedules and budgets allow, it would be nice to arrange for
RMS to also speak in Atlanta while he is here in the GNU South.
(Or maybe we can just help organize a road trip to Athens...).

I'll report back with details from our meeting.

in peace,
aaron
ALE Part Time Organizing Associate, etc.