[ale] [OT] comcast blues/meltdown

Sean Kilpatrick kilpatms at gmail.com
Fri Aug 1 17:40:00 EDT 2014

Does anyone here know of a contact person within the local Comcast
disaster who actually understands how the system works?

First the comcast billing computer hiccupped and failed to ding the credit
card for May and June -- when we were out of down. Then it hit the account
for non-payment fees.  I was not amused.  Finally got that mess
straightened out.  Then one of the Hi-def cable boxes died.  Went over to
the new Buckhead office and picked up a replacement.  That box would not
accept the hookup signal from Comcast.  Got a techie to come out (4.5
hours late) who poked around for a few minutes and then told me the
problem wasn't with the box or any of the equipment in the house.  The
problem was with Comcast's billing computer, which wasn't letting the Hi-
def signal through to the new box because there was nothing on the billing
statement to signify I was paying for  hi-def service.  WTF!  We have been
receiving the hi-def signal since we moved into the condo as it is part of
the contract the condo has with Comcast -- or at least that's what I
thought.  As soon as the techie replaced the unworkable hi-def box with a
"regular" cable box, the signal was there.
So I went back out to the Comcast office in Buckhead and insisted on talking
to the office manager -- who had NO CLUE what I was talking about.  Her first
thought was to install a signal booster!  I didn't bother to point out
that signal strength is the FIRST thing the techie  checks. Said she would
contact someone further up the technical side and have them call me.

Didn't happen.

I'm hoping against hope that somewhere within the local comcast
clusterfuck there is someone (I just need one!) who understands the
underlying problem.

Does anyone here know if such a person actually exists?

Sean