[ale] Vintage Computer Festival Southeast 2.0 - May 3 & 4

Alan Hightower alan at alanlee.org
Wed Apr 30 12:47:35 EDT 2014

For a slightly off topic but somewhat related note....

This weekend we - the Atlanta Historical Computer Society - are
sponsoring the Vintage Computer Festival Southeast 2.0 in Roswell, GA.
It is a combination event with Computer Museum of America's new 'LINK'
exhibit. The LINK exhibit takes you back in time from modern mobile
devices to the microcomputers that blazed the technological trail. This
is a follow up to their very successful Apple Pop-Up Museum that opened
last year and will also be open this year. Here is a link to a virtual
walk-through of the Apple exhibit. [1]

The Vintage Computer Festival Southeast 2.0 features nearly 40
exhibitions from hobbyists and enthusiasts eager to educate visitors
about their artifacts and the life stories that accompany them. We also
have a speakers hall where historians and local educators will be giving
presentations on subjects relating to computer history. Here is the
complete speaking schedule and biographical information. [2] New for
this year are two hour long sessions following the PechaKucha 20x20 [3]
format. These are presentations backed by 20 slides auto advancing every
20 seconds for those who just want to get to the point. The event is
also very kid friendly. We have a vintage gaming area, scavenger hunt,
expanded DOOM LAN party, and supervised soldering workshops for 5
different skill levels in addition to other workshops and
demonstrations.

Here are some photos from our 1.0 event last year. [4]

The event is at a former CompUSA retail store and regional offices -
30,000 square foot of exhibition space! For those of you that attended
last year, the space has been renovated and we're taking over the whole
thing. The store is located just off Holcomb Bridge Road and GA 400 in
the King's Market Shopping Center (on the SE corner of the
intersection). 1425 Market Blvd. #200, Roswell GA

The show is open Saturday May 3, from 10a - 7p and Sunday May 4, from
10a to 5p. $10 per adult for one day or $15 for both days. Children 17
and under and college students with ID are free.

Hope to see you there!

 For more information, please visit -
http://www.vintage.org/2014/southeast/

-Alan

Links:
------
[1]
https://webmail.panasonicautomotive.com/owa/redir.aspx?C=GM-Vfnu3JUut384ovRRVmrgYrukjONEIBn0IxD95XWEw81kuqDMw8G6rNRQ0ypwHJMIOl6Qp0mc.&URL=https%3a%2f%2fwww.google.com%2fmaps%2fplace%2fComputer%2bMuseum%2bof%2bAmerica%2f%4034.018893%2c-84.321306%2c3a%2c75y%2c125.51h%2c90t%2fdata%3d!3m5!1e1!3m3!1sOO811bJt7V4AAAGu3YWE1g!2e0!3e2!4m2!3m1!1s0x0%3a0x5825a80a4e541e5c!6m1!1e1%3fhl%3den
[2]
https://webmail.panasonicautomotive.com/owa/redir.aspx?C=GM-Vfnu3JUut384ovRRVmrgYrukjONEIBn0IxD95XWEw81kuqDMw8G6rNRQ0ypwHJMIOl6Qp0mc.&URL=http%3a%2f%2fwww.vintage.org%2f2014%2fsoutheast%2fsession.php
[3]
https://webmail.panasonicautomotive.com/owa/redir.aspx?C=GM-Vfnu3JUut384ovRRVmrgYrukjONEIBn0IxD95XWEw81kuqDMw8G6rNRQ0ypwHJMIOl6Qp0mc.&URL=http%3a%2f%2fwww.pechakucha.org%2f