[ale] [OT] totally creepy phone action

Jim Kinney jim.kinney at gmail.com
Sat Apr 26 22:03:42 EDT 2014

I taught an intro self defense class today and a student asked for a PDF of
the handout. I was ready for this and pulled out my android phone to email
a copy of the PDF I had stashed earlier on the phone. I was using my gmail
account account to send to an emory.edu account. I have never met this
person before and have had no prior communications with them. I do not get
my emory email using gmail but I do use the google/android supplied
exchange client to get my work email so the communication is SUPPOSED to be
encrypted between server and phone. This person's name was on an email I
got on my Emory account as having paid but not their email address. Their
address was first.last at emory.edu

I started typing in the student's Emory email address and gmail
auto-completed for me.

Correctly.

This happened TWICE with two different Emory students in the same class.

My GPS was probably on and the class was posted on the recreation site. Has
Google become so adept at deducing what's going on that they can predict
who will attend a seminar class and correlate with a GPS location to
correctly guess TWICE on a non-gmail email address?!?!?

Totally creepy and I'm thinking about tossing my phone in front of a steam
roller.
James P. Kinney III

Every time you stop a school, you will have to build a jail. What you gain
It won't fatten the dog.
- Speech 11/23/1900 Mark Twain

*http://heretothereideas.blogspot.com/
<http://heretothereideas.blogspot.com/>*