[ale] OT: Comcast Wi-Fi

Alex Carver agcarver+ale at acarver.net
Thu Apr 24 15:52:42 EDT 2014

It's Comcast's attempt to make a ubiquitous public wifi network.  The
theory is that it's a separate VLANed AP running in parallel to your
connection that will allow a Comcast subscriber from anywhere get a
usable network connection when roaming without needing a cellular data plan.

There hasn't been much information on it like how usage might affect
your data rates on your paid connection, absolution of responsibility of
the end user for any traffic going through the public VLAN of that node,
and whether the two networks are fully isolated (or properly isolated)
such that a public user could not reach your internal network.