[ale] Cisco Valet connector, Ubuntu 14.04, and me.

Damon L. Chesser damon at damtek.com
Mon Apr 21 17:54:07 EDT 2014

so, noticed my sound has been all distorted since I upgraded to 14.04
the other day.  Thought it was feedback through a skype connection
(playing a game and talking to my brother, playing the same game).  so
today, played some music and sounds like the speakers were blown.  OK
confirmed problem with the sound system.

swapped out speakers.  Same issue.  What?  Ubuntu has crappy sound
drivers or my sound chip on the MB is bad.

Swapped out OS (rebooted into win).  Played same game.  Perfect sound.
Dang.  time for a sound card, no need to buy a new MB.

well, maybe it IS crappy drivers, try an  update.  Yup, there was one.
installed it, it modified linux headers in some way and a new boot image
was generated.

reboot.  no wireless.

no connection with wireless extension.  Pluged in my spare, not seen.
modprobe rt2870sa, no module found.  Pluged in a different brand usb
wireless adapter,  modify WICD to say "wlan1" vs wlan0, refresh, BAM!
wireless.  bummer.  I picked up a spare Valet for $12.99  just because
it worked so well for Ubuntu 13.10.  Uname says 3.11.0-19-generic

Reminds me that Ubuntu is an old African word that means "can't
configure Debian, and distrusts RedHat"

Remind me again WHY I want to keep up with Ubuntu and don't run Debian
or Fedora on my desktop (run Debian on my laptop in a kick but openstack
that eats up 554MB of RAM while running htop, gkerllm, pretty desktop,
cairo-dock, and firefox).

anybody else run into issues with the Cisco Valet?

When I feel like playing with it, I will take it over to my laptop, but
since I also do this for a living, it has kinda lost it's shinny allure
to troubleshoot a home issue.  Now days, I just act more like the water
than the rock.  OHM, OHM.

--
Damon L. Chesser
damon at damtek.com