[ale] replacing disk sda

Paul Cartwright pbcartwright at gmail.com
Fri Apr 18 06:02:28 EDT 2014

ok, well my error count went to 31 sectors on /dev/sda the other day..
I've been rcping /home over to a partition on sdb, so this morning,
before I opened email, I edited /etc/fstab, commented out /home, moved
my partition on /dev/sdb to /home and.... rebooted. SO, I didn't get
that error I have been getting where it always drops me to that enter
password or Control-D to continue, it just flat booted:)

so now I have an /dev/sda with .. nothing mounted . /dev/sda3 is my
windows 7 partition, sda2 I think is the Dell recovery partition, I
forget what sda1 is..
Yesterday I did a clonezilla disk copy of /sda to a spare partition on
sdb. It errored on my /dev/sda5 /home but copied the other partitions.

I also have a nice new 2TB drive sitting here in a box. If I just
replace the old 1TB drive with the new 2TB drive and do a clonezilla
restore, will I be able to boot to grub menu? does it copy the MBR?
suggestions/comments?? am I missing something??

--
Paul Cartwright