[ale] Virtualizing SCO OpenServer 5.x

Beddingfield, Allen allen at ua.edu
Wed Apr 16 09:49:00 EDT 2014

Everyone, thanks for all the replies.  I suppose I should give a little more background...

I can't name the client, but this is a "your tax dollars at work" situation...a small department inside of a bigger one.  The role that this server plays is declining in importance, but it needs to stay around for a few more years.
The application is one that was written in-house a couple of decades ago.  It is all in COBOL, and very WTF filled... for example, they have several Okidata dot matrix printers for printing forms.  There is a wide format one for some sort of report, one for regular sized reports, one for checks, one for some other sort of form...etc...  they all have Axis print servers attached, and are configured as print queues on the server.  From the best I can tell, the printer names are hard coded into the application.  (Go to a screen, do some action, it prints something to the appropriate printer...etc...).  Also, on top of the Unix password, has an application password...  it gets that one by taking the first and last letter of the three letter username.   So...  if you ssh into the server as "abc", once you have typed in your Unix password, the app runs from your .profile, and prompts for a login...  you enter a username of "abc" and a password of "ac" to enter the app.  If the username is over three characters it won't work.  I'm sure that wqs a good idea to someone at the time...:)  Luckily, this thing is on a private subnet.
They found a company that had a commercial application that does what this one does (Windows based)...the company was even working with them to move their data into the new app....then that company decided to ax that product, and left them mid-migration with nothing to show.   As I said, it is something that is declining in need...
I got an e-mail from them that they found everything...the SCO licenses, possibly the COBOL software licenses, and everything that came with the implementation......with originals in a safe, and multiple copies.  That's something you don't get from a client very often.
Anyway, I've also done a good bit of searching around, and based on what I found, and the comments here, VMware is going to be my best hope of getting anything to work.  Apparently any option is going to require removing the driver it is using for the Dell SCSI controller and relinking the kernel.
I'm going to give it a try...the worst I can do is was a lot of time.  The biggest obstacle I see is that most of the people who are doing it successfully are using 5.0.6 or 5.0.7....and from what I can tell, they are running 5.0.0

Anyway, this may be a learning experience that results in buying another 2600 off of Ebay :D
Allen B.

--
Allen Beddingfield
Systems Engineer