[ale] [OT] Science Fiction

Lightner, Jeff JLightner at dsservices.com
Mon Apr 14 11:13:47 EDT 2014

If you like Clarke’s style (including getting to the emotion of his characters) you’d probably enjoy Orson Scott Card’s stuff as well.

Oddly enough Clarke wrote the book “2001: A Space Odyssey “ AFTER the movie.

It boggles my mind that after all these years they’ve made a movie of Card’s “Ender’s Game”.    I’ve not seen it because I fear it will be disappointing like many SciFi movies purported to be based on books of the same title.   (I still gnash my teeth whenever Starship Troopers is being shown.)

I remember years ago when they made a movie of “Logan’s Run” long after I’d read the book.   The movie did diverge from the book wasn’t as bad as it might have been.  (In the book the end of life was at 21 not 30 and there was none of this Carousel nonsense – the whole reason people became “runners” in the book was because they KNEW they were going to die at 21.)

One of my favorite movies of all time is Bladerunner which diverged both in title and story.  Original book of that title was Alan E. Nourse and had nothing to do with the movie.  The movie was actually based on a separate book by Philip K. Dick called “Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep” that I read AFTER seeing the movie.   The book at least explains why everything looks so dilapidated in the movie and has a plot line the movie completely ignores but I still prefer the movie.