[ale] nanoseconds and milliseconds

Pete Hardie pete.hardie at gmail.com
Wed Apr 2 07:30:21 EDT 2014

I thought that it was common knowledge that even tiny increments of time
were worth it - I've seen articles about trading houses vying for getting
their equipment into the same building as the network infrastructure to
minimize latency, or the rental prices for the building around the ISP
going up as trading houses fought over them

On Wed, Apr 2, 2014 at 7:19 AM, Jim Kinney <jim.kinney at gmail.com> wrote:

> Nah. They use cat6 b. It's just like cat but it's made by the monster
> speaker wire company and costs $1B per millisecond of delay.
>
> MUWAHAHAHA!
> On Apr 2, 2014 12:19 AM, "H P Ladds" <householdwords at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Fun article. That's how they slowed down billionaire bad guys?
>> Intentionally increasing and controlling network latency by using really
>> long coils of wire -- you're putting me on. I wonder if they use simple Cat
>> 5/6 on Wall Street?
>>
>> Cheers,
>> Preston L.
>>

>> On Mon, Mar 31, 2014 at 3:49 PM, Sean Kilpatrick <kilpatms at gmail.com>wrote:
>>
>>>  Those who watch their own stock portfolios probably need to read this
>>> article from the NYT on how one really bright guy figured out how the stock
>>> market REALLY works. Or, to put it another way, a few milliseconds are more
>>> important than you imagine.
>>>
>>> http://www.nytimes.com/2014/04/06/magazine/flash-boys-michael-lewis.html
>>>
>>> Sean

Pete Hardie