[ale] [OT] was android ... obd ... now setting up UltraGauge, ScanGauge, TorquePro

Ron Frazier (ALE) atllinuxenthinfo at techstarship.com
Fri Sep 27 00:31:17 EDT 2013

Hi all,

Just thought I'd pass along a few more tips.

If you're using pretty much any MPG computer, TorquePro, ScanGauge, UltraGauge, it's not going to be as accurate as it can unless you calibrate your distance measurements.  It won't make a huge difference, but it will make a difference.

The odometer in your car is almost certainly NOT accurate.

Even if it's working properly,  it's accurate only at exactly one tire size.  When the tires wear, it's no longer accurate, as the car doesn't go the same distance for the same number of engine (or transmission) revolutions.

It was only coincidence, but I ended up buying the UltraGauge when I had nearly worn out tires.  I did the distance calibration and the unit applied a calibration factor of 1.007.  I assume, but don't know, that the unit multiplies all distance measurements by this factor.

Also, coincidentally, I just did the budget and decided to replace the tires.  I did the distance calibration again and the new factor is 1.016.

So, in my case, my odometer is neither accurate with old tires nor with new ones.  And, the distance measurement difference between old tires and new ones is about 1%.  Also, based on the correction factor, since the number with new tires is larger, I assume that the UltraGauge will over estimate my distance traveled, and MPG, as the tires age.

UltraGauge has a menu driven distance calibration procedure.  If you're going to do this multiple times, be sure to reset the calibration setting between attempts, or you'll get wrong results.

I think ScanGauge has a similar procedure, but don't know how it works.  Check the user manual.

TorquePro has a speed calibration setting, which I think is just a numeric factor that you enter.

Here's how you would calculate it.  (This should work, but I haven't tested it.)

Install a gauge in TorquePro to show trip distance.  Also install the trip reset button.

Find a road with mile markers where you can stop next to a marker safely.  Choose one and stop next to it.  Note the marker number.  Reset the trip meter on Torque.  You can optionally also reset the trip meter in your car to help you keep track of the miles.  However, if you drive very many miles, like 50 or more, the whole number part of this may not be accurate.

Drive some distance and stop next to another mile marker.  Note the 2nd mile marker number.  Since Torque only displays distance to the 1/10 of a mile, the more miles the better.

The TRUE_DISTANCE = BIG_MARKER_NUMBER - LITTLE_MARKER_NUMBER.

Let's say that TRUE_DISTANCE = 10.

The TORQUE_DISTANCE is the distance on the Torque trip meter.

Let's say the TORQUE_DISTANCE = 9.8, which is the distance TorquePro thinks you went, which is too low.

The CORRECTION_FACTOR = TRUE_DISTANCE / TORQUE_DISTANCE.

So, for example, 10 / 9.8 = 1.020.

Put that number in the Torque speed correction screen.

The same formula would work if the TORQUE_DISTANCE was too high, but the answer would be a number less than 1.

This should make your mileage calculations more accurate (for the current tire size).  And, thus, the MPG calculations will be more accurate.

Note that as the tire tread DECREASES, the correction factor DECREASES.  When your tires wear out, should you test again, your correction factor will be smaller.  You could test and set it every 20,000 miles or so, or you could just set it in the middle.  In order to do that, you'd have to find the middle, by testing with low tire tread and with new tire tread like I did.

Fuel injector cutoff will also affect MPG calculations.  The UltraGauge has settings for this and I think ScanGauge does.  I'm not aware of a setting in Torque, but, when I'm coasting down a big hill at a decent speed, torque reads fuel flow of zero, which is what it should do.

I found all this very interesting from a physics point of view.

Hope this helps.

Sincerely,

Ron

"Ron Frazier (ALE)" <atllinuxenthinfo at techstarship.com> wrote:

>Hi all,
>
>I wanted to give you an update on my project.  I bought the UltraGauge.
>
>It came today.  I spent a good bit of time looking over the pdf manual
>from the website and setting up the thing.  First impressions, I REALLY
>
>like it.  It's doing exactly what I want displaying 6 important pieces
>of info that I wouldn't have access to otherwise.  And, it has 7
>customizable screens I can use for different purposes.  I'll have to
>see
>about it's performance and longevity over time, but, as of this moment,
>
>I'm impressed.  I recommend the device.  My total cost for the device +
>
>window mount + shipping was about $ 88.  There's a rebate of $ 10 I can
>
>get if I want to take their quiz and prove I read critical parts of the
>
>manual.

-snip-