[ale] wpa_supplicant on hidden SSIDs

Alex Carver agcarver+ale at acarver.net
Wed Sep 25 12:08:31 EDT 2013

On 9/25/2013 06:05, James Sumners wrote:
> It really depends on the card. Some lspci/lsusb details would help.

It's a Linksys WPC54G version 2 (using the Texas Inst. ACX 111 chipset)
PCMCIA card.  It worked in XP using the normal Linksys drivers (as long
as I checked the option in the config that says connect even though the
SSID isn't broadcast).  I picked up the ndis drivers from the install
disk to use with ndiswrapper.

If the AP is not broadcasting the SSID, debugging info on wpa_supplicant
shows that it scans over and over again but, because it can't see the
SSID, it skips the AP (the AP's MAC does show up in the scan list).
Once I turn on SSID broadcast, wpa_supplicant connects.

Here's lspci -v for the specific card:
02:00.0 Network controller: Texas Instruments ACX 111 54Mbps Wireless
Interface
        Subsystem: Linksys WPC54G v2 802.11g Wireless-G Notebook Adapter
        Memory at 30020000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=8K]
        Memory at 30000000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=128K]
        Kernel driver in use: ndiswrapper