[ale] Linux on UEFI mother boards

Chris Ricker chris.ricker at gmail.com
Wed Sep 25 07:56:17 EDT 2013

On 9/24/13 5:22 PM, Michael B. Trausch wrote:
> On 09/24/2013 04:49 PM, Aaron Ruscetta wrote:
>> Any light y'all can shine though this dark MafiaSoft punk thug
>> corporapist nightmare corruption would be appreciated.
>
> You can either disable Secure Boot (part of the UEFI specification,
> not a proprietary extension) and simply boot any UEFI system, or you
> can get installers for Ubuntu and Fedora that are Secure Boot-enabled
> and be able to take advantage of the security benefits which entail
> (proof that the boot loader and kernel are "legit" is useful even on
> Linux systems).

A lot of the currentish server-class gear from major vendors has options
to select between UEFI and legacy BIOS modes. I've got Dell and Cisco
servers that offer that, and have seen that on HP

The legacy BIOS mode is also useful because it (or a relatively simple
patch) is needed to manage the servers from cobbler due to UEFI changing
the VCI presented during PXE boot