[ale] [OT] - Ethanol-free gas in the Atlanta area?

Jay Lozier jslozier at gmail.com
Sat Sep 21 22:20:14 EDT 2013

Ethanol content can be harmful to rubber and plastic parts in the fuel
system. Cars since sometime in 80's have been designed with gas being up
to 10% ethanol.

My complaint with the EPA requirements is that they never fully thought
out. Often fuel regulations are promulgated without considering chemical
attack on parts in existing vehicles. The EPA is considering raising the
ethanol requirement to 15%. Whether an engine will tolerate the increase
could be problematic and there is the possibly of the owner being on the
hook for expensive repairs. Often regulators ignore chemical attack and
corrosion when writing their rules and do not factor material failure as
part of the cost of the regulation.