[ale] [OT] - Ethanol-free gas in the Atlanta area?

Courtney Thomas courtneycthomas at bellsouth.net
Sat Sep 21 15:47:03 EDT 2013

On 9/21/2013 10:41 AM, Ken Cochran wrote:
> I'm surprised there hasn't been mentioned on this list
> (until now :) that ethanol gasoline is most efficient at
> a different air-fuel ratio (umm, it needs to be richer
> I think).  I've always found it to run poorly (if at all)
> in carbureted engines or even very old fuel-injected ones
> (i.e. pre-early-'90s engines that can't adjust their fuel
> mix ratios accurately/electronically).  And we really can't
> adjust the carburetors to compensate because the mixing jets
> are/were usually factory calibrated & not adjustable (except
> maybe for idle).  Examples are *any* kind of outdoor power
> equipment (mowers, trimmers, chainsaws, older (carbureted)
> outboard motors, older (carbureted) inboard marine engines,
> and of course antique vehicles.  Ethanol gasoline works ok in
> modern fuel-injected engines (albeit with decreased effiency
> - they adjust themselves to enrich the air-fuel), and as
> has been mentioned on this list, used enough that the fuel
> "flushes through" & isn't stored for very long.
>
> Also, I don't believe I've seen *any* metal fuel system
> component (other than a fuel-injector itself) on any vehicle
> made since the mid-'90s (probably before, too).  I might
> speculate that this material change was for weight & lower
> manufacturing cost but there's also corrosion resistance
> (ethanol gasoline is corrosive to metals from what I've seen).
>
> Thought I'd toss that out I guess...  :)
>
> -kc
>
>> Date: Sat, 21 Sep 2013 07:56:57 -0400
>> From: Michael Potter <michael at potter.name>
>> To: Atlanta Linux Enthusiasts <ale at ale.org>
>> Subject: Re: [ale] [OT] - Ethanol-free gas in the Atlanta area?
>>
>> +1 Sta-bil
>>
>> On Fri, Sep 20, 2013 at 6:28 AM, Sean Kilpatrick <kilpatms at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> **
>>>
>>> Yes, absolutely. Gasoline mixed with ethanol degrades quickly (think
>>> weeks, not months.) The ethanol causes crud to form in aluminum carbs and
>>> rots out the rubber fuel lines in small engines, especially two-strokes.
>>> The carbs on these engines MUST be drained dry after each use to prevent
>>> damage. I speak from bitter experience. :(
>>>
>>> The solution is simple: use ethanol-free gasoline and add Sta-bil to the
>>> gas. A treated 2 gallon tank will last all summer.
>>>
>>> Sean

>> --
>> Michael Potter
>>    Tapp Solutions, LLC
>>    Replatform Technologies, LLC
>> +1 770 815 6142  ** Atlanta ** michael at potter.name  **
>> www.linkedin.com/in/michaelpotter

Ken,

I have a couple of old Mercedes, a U.S. 1982 380SL, and a 1984 Euro
500SL, that are injected and have been using the ethanol stuff since it
is the only practically available fuel
here in Alpharetta, to my knowledge, but have not noticed any problem
for about 10 years now, but frankly, don't know if the fuel air mixture
is electronically compensated.
They are both V8s by the way.

What should I be on the lookout for, as I want no other and intend to be
buried in one of 'em  :-)

Finally, any preventative suggestions ?

Appreciatively,

Courtney