[ale] Linux for senior citizens

Adrya Stembridge adrya.stembridge at gmail.com
Wed Sep 18 16:23:49 EDT 2013

> could have dual boot / vm / live cd / separate restricted account /
> SOMETHING just for grandkids.

The prevailing thought is that the grandkids were the culprits in trashing
Windows in the first place.   Once is enough.  Now they can adapt and learn
something new, or do without.  If they are resourceful, they'll figure out
how defeat Linux by installing a copy of Windows (that they don't have, and
probably can't afford).  If they are *very *resourceful they will figure
out how to gain root access on boot, and elevate their own privileges on
the machine.   The grandchild wants to be a game programmer, so this may be
a push in the right direction.

> remember windows data & people to exchange data with.

LibreOffice should cover most of the office-releated overlap.   Since this
is not a work machine, and would not be used for advanced gaming, I doubt
anyone will miss not having "Windows" installed.