[ale] need 5" android tablet / phone for obd car instrumentation

Ron Frazier (ALE) atllinuxenthinfo at techstarship.com
Tue Sep 17 00:30:38 EDT 2013

On 9/17/2013 12:03 AM, Alex Carver wrote:
> On 9/16/2013 18:44, Ron Frazier (ALE) wrote:
>
>> I guess a bluetooth adapter would be ok if it shuts off within minutes
>> or seconds after the car is turned off.  I don't want anyone hacking
>> into my engine while I'm in a parking lot though.  A guy at an auto
>> parts store told me more advanced obd scanners can unlock the doors,
>> etc.
>
> So wire it that way.  You just need a relay connected to (or draw
> power for the dongle from) the ignition switch or some other
> hot-when-running wire.  If the car isn't running, the dongle is off.
> For that matter you could just wire a mechanical switch to turn the
> thing off.
>
> It is only possible to unlock doors or do other functions if the OBD
> connector bus is attached to the same bus controlling the locks.  Some
> manufacturers did link subsystems together via the OBD or CAN buses
> which would allow such a hack.  Others did not.

By default, the obd port always has power and the bluetooth adapter gets
its power from that.  I could switch the power circuit as you suggest by
building a custom obd jumper cable.  A better solution would be to have
an adapter that has an auto shut off feature, or to use a wired solution
with no wireless at all.  Up to this point, I've been removing the
bluetooth adapter from the obd port every time I exit the car.  Other
than being awkward, I'm concerned that this could wear out the obd plug
in the car.  I don't think they're designed to be plugged and unplugged
multiple times per day for months or years.

Ron