[ale] [OT] fyi Office Depot, semi annual mega sale including tablets / obd stuff

Ron Frazier (ALE) atllinuxenthinfo at techstarship.com
Sun Sep 15 14:54:50 EDT 2013

Hi all,

I just wanted to give you a heads up that Office Depot is having a semi annual mega sale with many different items on sale at decent savings.  Not everything is on sale though.  I think it runs through 09/21/13.

I just got 2 reams of HP Multipurpose Printer Paper with 800 sheets per ream (rather than 500) at $ 8.49 ea.  So, that's like getting 300 sheets free per ream.  I also got some plastic storage boxes and business card holders at a discount.

Finally, they have some cool tablets.  I got a 7" Lenovo A1000-F Android 4 tablet for $ 100 which is normally $ 130.  It has 1 GB ram, dual core cpu, 8 GB flash, micro usb, micro sd, wifi, and bluetooth.  That's a pretty good deal I think.  They've got an Asus one with slightly lesser features for the same price.  2 year extended warranty with some protection for things like broken screens is $ 15.

I may use the tablet for running the Torque program and monitoring the instruments in my car.  If I go that route, I'm hoping to use an obd wired cable to the usb since I don't like leaving a bluetooth device that someone else could potentially communicate with in the car all the time.  I also don't like plugging and unplugging the device from the obd multiple times per day.  I'll have to get the obd - usb cable from amazon and a micro usb - usb OTG adapter.  However, I may conclude that the problems of mounting the tablet and powering it without obscuring my vision in the car are too much.  So, I could return it and get a scangauge, which only displays 4 sensors at a time but is much smaller.  But, at least I wanted to get a tablet before they all disappeared.  I hate the idea of returning the tablet since it's just a cool device for a cool price.  I could use it for a permanent weather radar display at home or something.  But, alas, I don't have the budget to buy both a tablet and a scangauge.

Now that I've got mine, you guys can go buy the rest.  8-)

Sincerely,

Ron