[ale] [OT] [way OT] dealing with funky problems in hyundai vehicles

Boris Borisov bugyatl at gmail.com
Fri Sep 13 23:09:40 EDT 2013

Computers are definitely helping for fine control of the engine, leaner
mixtures, emission control and etc. If you learn what's computers is
telling you is even easy to diagnose problem. Today's car just got too many
sensors and any error could be related to 3-4 of these sensors. My biggest
problems with today's cars is that they are over cramped under the hood.
Difficult to work on really ...

On Friday, September 13, 2013, Ron Frazier (ALE) <
atllinuxenthinfo at techstarship.com> wrote:
> Hi Sean,
>
> Does the engine choke down?  Regardless, you might want to check the
throttle position sensor and the crankshaft position sensor.  You could
also check to see what tsb's or recalls are on the hyundai web site for
your model.  You may have to go to some place like edmunds.com for recalls.
 I don't know.  Finally, you might see if there are any program updates for
the ecu through a dealer, not something to be done lightly though.

> I was having a discussion with my wife recently about the potential
fragility of a design in which the computer runs everything and depends on
all these sensors.  Now, I'm sure there are numerous advantages to doing
this.  However, if you take an old design where there is a mechanical fuel
pump, mechanical oil pump, mechanical water pump, mechanical carburetor,
mechanical linkage to the gas pedal, and spark plugs driven by distributor,
points, and coil; you have to have something pretty radical to stop the
engine.  Oh, and the fan was attached to the crankshaft.  If the engine was
turning and the water pump was working, with coolant, it was cooling.  If
you have a diesel engine, with no ignition system, things are even simpler.
 Although, the fuel injector pump on my old Mercedes is a complicated
affair, kind of like a mechanical computer.

> With our modernization, I think we've potentially made things much more
prone to failure.  I'm not a mechanic, so I could be wrong.

> Interesting what you said about the gauge.  I can definitely see it
creeping up from zero to the operating temp, rather than jumping up, for
example.  It gets to just below the mid point and stays there.  As far as I
know, I've never had a serious overheat.  So, I don't know what it would do
in that case.

> With an android tablet, obd scan tool, and the Torque Pro program; or a
scangauge device, you can keep an eye on the temperature and get an exact
number.  I use my tablet for this along with a bluetooth obd device.
 However, I also use the tablet for other things, so I'm always taking it
out of the car.  I'm considering getting a 5" or 7" tablet from Big Lots
and a usb based obd device to use just as an instrument panel.  That could
stay in the car all the time.  Also, that way, I wouldn't be broadcasting
the bluetooth signal that someone else could, potentially, hack into.

> Sincerely,
>
> Ron
>

> Sean Kilpatrick <kilpatms at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>>I have a Hyundai Santa Fe 2011.  My problem is with the fly-by-wire
>>throttle, which (only) at the worst possible times will not feed gas to
>>
>>the engine from a full stop -- like stopped at a light on a steep hill.
>>take my foot off the brake and press on the gas peddle -- and the car
>>rolls
>>backward.  Not Good!
>>
>>But, I am writing to comment on Ron's notes on the Hyundai water temp.
>>guage.  The one on the dashboard >looks< like a real temp. guage, but
>>it's
>>not.  It is actually a three position "idiot light."  Its three
>>positions
>>are, Cold, Operating temp. and Overheat.
>>I do not know at what point the "guage" will indicate Overheat, but it
>>registers Operating temp. from 157 F up through 235  F. I can assure
>>one
>>and all that this does not help much when towing a one-ton trailer over
>>10k foot mountain pass in Colorado.
>>
>>Sean

>>On Friday, September 13, 2013 02:57:48 pm Ron Frazier (ALE) wrote:
>>> Hi all,
>>>
>>> This is a diverse group of people with many different interests that
>>we
>>> discuss here.  I've been working on solving problems in power
>>> protection, gps's, scripting, lighting, audio recording, eyeglasses,
>>> and automobiles over the last year and you have given me help on many
>>> of these.  I appreciate that.  I always try to share what I learned
>>> back to the group in case the info will help others.
>>>
>>> For some time, I've been trying to solve some funky problems with my
>>> 2005 Hyundai Santa Fe.  I think I've found some solutions, and I want
>>> to share them in case someone else can benefit.  This applies to
>>other
>>> Hyundai's too.
>
> -snip-
>

> --
>
> Sent from my Android Acer A500 tablet with bluetooth keyboard and K-9
Mail.
> Please excuse my potential brevity if I'm typing on the touch screen.

quickly.)

> Ron Frazier
> 770-205-9422 (O)   Leave a message.
> linuxdude AT techstarship.com
> Litecoin: LZzAJu9rZEWzALxDhAHnWLRvybVAVgwTh3
> Bitcoin: 15s3aLVsxm8EuQvT8gUDw3RWqvuY9hPGUU

Sent from Gmail Mobile