[ale] Suse Questions please clear my confusion

James Taylor James.Taylor at eastcobbgroup.com
Wed Sep 11 21:32:50 EDT 2013

zypper info --requires <packagename>
-jt

James Taylor
678-697-9420
james.taylor at eastcobbgroup.com

>>> "Narahari 'n' Savitha" <savithari at gmail.com> 9/11/2013   09:00 PM

Friends:

Our Linux Eng team released a new Secure Build for our internal usage.

It is SLES 11SP2 (dont ask me why we are so behind).

I installed it and brought up the os.

The svn it comes with is 1.6 but I tried to see if I can move to 1.8

I was told, verbatim

> =======================================
> If you need 1.7, you need to compile your own, or possibly download
the
> version from software.opensuse.org.
>
> If you go to opensuse.org, someone has compiled and packaged version
> 1.7.10 and 1.7.5 and 1.8.3 for SLES 11 SP2.  RLSE and SUSE will not
support
> those versions, so it’ll work on best-effort support that you can
provide.
> There’s another team using subversion in ADP, and you should
probably talk
> to them about how they’ve installed the newer versions on their
systems..

> My recommendation is to at least upgrade to July 2013 to get SLES 11
SP2,
> then if you require 1.7 instead of the 1.6 that SP2 SDK provides, go
> download the subversion and subversion-server packages needed from
> software.opensuse.org for SLES 11 SP2.
> ===========================

To follow them I did the next set of steps.

http://download.opensuse.org/repositories/home:/vrg:/subversion/SLE_11_SP2/x86_64/subversion-1.8.3-124.2.x86_64.rpm

>sudo rpm -ivh subversion-1.8.3-124.2.x86_64.rpm
warning: subversion-1.8.3-124.2.x86_64.rpm: Header V3 DSA signature:
NOKEY,
key ID 90d7671a
error: Failed dependencies:
libserf-1.so.0()(64bit) is needed by subversion-1.8.3-124.2.x86_64

As you can see above it failed and is saying Failed dependencies.

The question is:

Do I have to keep downloading each rpm and as and when the dep fails I
have
get that rpm ?

Is there a way to tell zypper to install not only the subversion rpm
but
also the missing ones only for 11SP2 ?

What is the way to say download.opensuse.org is the repo but it is
11SP2 ?

Thank You
-Narahari

If this is an unsolicited spam message, please click this link to
report it:
http://control.eastcobbgroup.com:49285/contents/spamreport.shtml?rptid=36094&srvid=16vl15t