[ale] home media/file server

Byron Jeff byronjeff at mail.clayton.edu
Wed Sep 11 13:05:10 EDT 2013

On Tue, Sep 10, 2013 at 02:29:51PM -0400, Sparr wrote:
>    I haven't kept up with media streaming technology for the past 5-10
>    years (UPNP is still hot stuff to me), especially proprietary stuff
>    (like how an XBox360 gets media from a Windows desktop on a home
>    network). However, I now find myself in a house full of people who want
>    to share all of our media with each other, and do all of our media
>    acquisition, with a centralized server.
>    I do not want to spend more than a few days tinkering with
>    configuration files and network daemons and such. Is there a good
>    mostly-Free mostly-free solution to this problem?

I kept it simple. I was looking for small and efficient. This summer I put
a 1.5 TB drive in a USB2 dock and attached it to a Raspberry Pi running
Raspian Wheezy (a standard Debian distribution for the Pi). I then dropped
a copy of minidlna to serve files via UPNP. The laptops, TV's, Dish hoppers
and the RaspBMC player box I also built all see the files.

My next project is web based upload capability so that anyone in the house
with an account can upload files to ther server.

My suggestion is to think like a consumer, not like a geek. While we'd all
be happy with NFS and/or Samba, I'm sure our coinhabitants would not be as
pleased with our choices.

BAJ

Byron A. Jeff
Chair: Department of Computer Science and Information Technology
College of Information and Mathematical Sciences
Clayton State University
http://faculty.clayton.edu/bjeff