[ale] [OT] [Way OT] need to fix eye glasses or replace at reasonable cost

Mike Harrison cluon at geeklabs.com
Wed Sep 11 12:30:16 EDT 2013

On Sep 9, 2013, at 8:40 PM, Ron Frazier (ALE) <atllinuxenthinfo at techstarship.com> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I have two eye glasses issues I hope you can help me with.  You've already been warned this is off topic.
>
> Every time I deal with the eye glasses industry, I'm convinced most are gouging consumers.
>
> Item 1) Wife's reading glasses.  Small round standard plastic lenses, bifocal with line.  There is a scratch on the outside of one lens.  The scratch is not too deep.  These do NOT have an anti reflective (AR) coating.
>
> Item 2) My glasses.  Large lenses, strong prescription, high index plastic.  Used to have AR coating.  Coating started flaking off on one lens and, even before that, it had started becoming hazy with micro scratches from cleaning.  I won't be getting AR again if I have a choice.

if you have a recent prescription, you need to also know the IPD http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Interpupillary_distance
which does not have to be precise, and is commonly measure by the optometrist. It's their part of the secret equation of your prescription.
You can measure it yourself with a friend and a metric ruler..

Then go to:   http://www.zennioptical.com/

My wife and I have been buying glasses for years from them.  Great results.

I like to get them for two prescriptions: an indoor (I see from .5 ft away to the wall of the office well… ) and outdoor (2ft away to far far away)
with auto-darkening for being outside and driving.

You can buy cheap glasses, and some pretty good ones as well. Buy some cheap ones your first time if you want to try them out.
My good ones, (I spent less than $100 on them, with shading, AR coating, etc… ) get complements and mistaken for very expensive glasses.