[ale] CUPS or LPR?

Ron Frazier (ALE) atllinuxenthinfo at techstarship.com
Fri Sep 6 14:15:03 EDT 2013

Hi Alex,

This isn't a direct answer to your question, but potentially relevant.  I've been using a stand alone print server on my network for years.  It's a Linksys PSUS4.  That model number may be obsolete.  I'm sure similar devices are still available.  It's just a very small box and it connects to a lan port on one side and a usb port on another and has a 4 port lan switch.  I just program the router to always give it the same ip address and connect it to the lan and the laser printer.  I have direct raw access to the print queue and both windows and linux machines can print to it.  I can send any kind of data I want to the printer.  When I set it up as an available printer in the client, I select it by ip address and load the drivers appropriate to that printer.  I love it and I don't have to dedicate a machine to running the printer.

Just an option you could consider in addition to what you described.

Sincerely,

Ron