[ale] The NSA has compromised httpd, ssh, TLS/SSL, and secure chat

JD jdp at algoloma.com
Fri Sep 6 11:46:22 EDT 2013

On 09/06/2013 11:30 AM, Tony Carter wrote:

> BTW, pfSense is based on FreeBSD. not Linux.

Actually, that was sorta my point. Linux is a huge target. The list of stuff
before that pfSense comment is all Linux-based.

* IPSec (IPv6 version)
* gpg (long-random-passphrase to access keys)
* Truecrypt (AES+Blowfish+keyfile+long-random-passphrase)

Avoid using SSL for stuff that you don't want snooped.

There is good news, sorta.
The NSA is well-known for not sharing raw data with other agencies, much less US
corporations. ;)

Does this mean that I'll never use HTTPS to buy stuff online again? Nope.
The NSA having the data probably means very little to anyone here in a practical
manner. For me, it is about violating our right to privacy in the 4th amendment.

OTOH, the US Government isn't really known for helping companies compete by
sharing data, unlike the French, Chinese, and 150 other countries. The NSA
having all this data isn't as bad to US corporations as if the Chinese or French
had it. But, I bet 50+ foreign intelligence agencies are screaming now - "if the
Americans have access, then we know it is possible - get it for our people,
companies, the fatherland!"