[ale] Can Bad Video Settings Fry LCD Monitors?

Ron Frazier (ALE) atllinuxenthinfo at techstarship.com
Wed Oct 30 21:46:52 EDT 2013

Hi all,

I just had a wild thought after reading an article in computer power user magazine about liquid electrolytic versus solid electrolyte capacitors.  As you may know, many modern motherboards use Japanese solid electrolytic capacitors to increase quality and reliability.

I already knew that.  What I didn't know is that, around 2002, the industry started experiencing waves of returns / complaints about defective motherboards due to a bad batch of capacitors with unstable electrolyte compounds.  This caused a great deal of trouble above and beyond the normal failure rate, and severely disrupted the industry.

http://www.computerpoweruser.com/DigitalIssues/ComputerPowerUser/CP____1311__/

Like I said, long shot, wild thought.  But, maybe, if your monitors are several years old and of similar vintage, they're all starting to experience premature death.  This could be an outside factor that could affect many units with nothing obviously in common but time of manufacture.  The article says this affected monitors, network switches, a/v equipment, and other things.

In any case, I thought it was interesting.

Sincerely,

Ron