[ale] Any language (wuz: Assembly Language?)

Michael B. Trausch mbt at naunetcorp.com
Sun Oct 27 09:18:11 EDT 2013

On 10/27/2013 01:42 AM, Leam Hall wrote:
> I'll have to admit it. When doing PHP and I have to prefix all the
> variables with $ and use a bunch of curly braces and semi-colons, I
> think about python.
>
> Don't tell Rasmus...

I _/*hate*/_ PHP.

That said, it's what everyone wants things done in.

Nobody cares about the relative insecurity of the code engine, the
auto-fsck-yous that it intentionally has within it, or the fact that
it's not a smart decision to use it.  They think about things like
WordPress and MediaWiki and say "we want /those/, let's bring 'em in".

PHP is also frequently selected because of the very, very, very low
barrier to entry to its use.  You have no idea how many thousands of
lines of code I have wiped clean in nearly every project I've worked
that isn't a from-scratch project, because of the total crap that
"programmers" have written.

Hate isn't nearly a strong enough word.

But it's currently, sadly, what pays the bills.

As a side note, though, I wouldn't guarantee the security of a system
built on PHP at all.  In fact, we don't guarantee the security of any
system that we build unless we're able to audit all components in it
anyway.  That means we pretty much only guarantee the security of C
modules we write.

Even Python has too much in its stdlib to be able to pass assurances of
anything.

     --- Mike

--

	Michael B. Trausch

President, *Naunet Corporation*
? (678) 287-0693 x130 or (855) NAUNET-1 x130
FAX: (678) 783-7843