[ale] Ubuntu Desktop 13.10

Edward Holcroft eholcroft at mkainc.com
Sat Oct 26 10:50:19 EDT 2013

I finally found out what's causing this.

My servers all have apticron installed to e-mail me when updates are
available. Apticron installs apt-listchanges. If I remove apt-listchanges,
then the problem goes away. But then I no longer have apticron advising me
of updates, which I find handy.

So, edit /etc/apt/listchanges.conf file and make frontend=text ( the
default = pager) then you can have apticron advise you of updates, and a
remote command to update the server that does not get stuck on waiting for
you to hit "q".

Thanks for the tips which eventually led me to look in the right place.

ed