[ale] Assembly Language?

Ed Cashin ecashin at noserose.net
Wed Oct 23 20:44:29 EDT 2013

A long time ago I learned assembly for 32-bit x86 using Dr. Paul Carter's
PDF.

  http://www.drpaulcarter.com/pcasm/

At least, that's my best guess.  I know I learned some, and I know I liked
nasm as opposed to gas.  Many people feel that nasm is human friendly,
while gas is gcc friendly.

Once you get used to nasm, it's pretty easy to learn the gcc extended
inline assembly stuff.  I have created a mnemonic device that I find
amusing for remembering which way the source and destination operands are
placed in AT&T (gas) and Intel (nasm) assembly syntax:

  If you're going to AT&T, your destination is New Jersey, on the right.
  If you're going to Intel, your destination is California, on the left.

Recently I got bothered that I couldn't do asm on x86_64, so I tried some
stuff and learned about some of the fancy recent Intel features at the same
time.  My learning exercises are documented on github.  The AVX stuff is
unfinished, since none of the CPUs I have access to have that feature.  The
other stuff is believed to work on Mac OS X and Linux.

  https://github.com/ecashin/low/tree/master/x86_64/popcnt

--
  Ed