[ale] Fedora install?

Sean Kilpatrick kilpatms at gmail.com
Wed Oct 23 17:15:06 EDT 2013

Although interesting, the recent threads on
Fedora/RedHat/Centos/Ubuntu/Debian installs failed to answer my current
question:

My current system:
AMD 64x2 1ghz chip w/4 gig memory

2 hard drives in Raid 1:

Partition     size       used
  /boot      .1 gig       63%
 /             10 gig       27%
 /home   198 gig       21%

Current OS:  FC 13 - 64 bit

I can not upgrade directly (although I am constantly being proded to do so
by the OS) because the web-based installer gags on the Raid.

I have in hand both Centos 6.3 X86-64 and the same in FC 17.

Given what I have read here on Ale and elsewhere, I am extremely hesitant
to tackle the FC18 install routine.

Should I install the Centos 6.3 and configure it as a desktop?
Or should I install FC 17 and try to upgrade via the web-based installer?
That question also asks if the newer web-based install routine can deal
with a Raid-1.  I don't know one way or the other.

Or should I now skip to FC 19, which seems to have a more useable install
routine?
Or should I wait until FC 20 is stable and try that?

Or give up on Red Hat altogether and install a 64 bit version of Mint,
which I also have available?

Sean