[ale] Fedora grousing

Michael B. Trausch mbt at naunetcorp.com
Wed Oct 23 12:31:19 EDT 2013

On 10/23/2013 09:48 AM, Beddingfield, Allen wrote:
> The whole "not up to date enough" garbage from web people makes me want to puke constantly.  I can't tell you how many times I get a web developer who has developed some site in PHP on the latest Ubuntu Ornery Orangatan or Pliable Platypus, or whatever the latest Ubuntu release of the minute is, with every PHP option installed and the latest bleeding edge version.  They try to get it to run on one of our SLES 11 or RHEL 6 servers, and it won't...  they don't understand that I can't just "upgrade to PHP 5.4.x"...yeah...5.3 with backported security updates is currently supported on this release - don't like it?  Take a hike.  Oh, and giving them dev space on a server with the same patch level doesn't help, because they can't possibly work within the confines of THAT old environment.
> The fact that so many web people think developing on a bleeding-edge workstation distro is a sane idea just throws fuel on the fire of my dislike for Ubuntu.

There is /some/ merit to the date argument, /but only when directly
called for by requirements/.

I can't speak for other developers, but if you're willing to pay me to
reinvent the wheel that was already invented in a later release of the
software, or to backport it, or whatever, well, that's just fine and
dandy.  I'll do so happily---that's just more hours for me to bill,
that's all.  Irritating?  Less than ideal?  Sure, but look at the paycheck!

There are certainly things that are easier to implement in PHP 5.4, for
example, over 5.3.  But there is nothing that comes up in my mind that
is impossible to implement in 5.3 syntax.  Just less convenient, more
verbose, and less performant.  But if you want to pay me to do it that
way, because 5.3 is the hard requirement, then I'll be quite happy to
oblige after informing you that by the by, it would be less expensive
and more robust if you use inbuilt functionality, and you've refused.

     --- Mike

--

	Michael B. Trausch

President, *Naunet Corporation*
? (678) 287-0693 x130 or (855) NAUNET-1 x130
FAX: (678) 783-7843