[ale] Fedora grousing

Michael B. Trausch mbt at naunetcorp.com
Wed Oct 23 12:21:27 EDT 2013

On 10/23/2013 08:10 AM, Jim Kinney wrote:
> As a   l o n g   time red hat then fedora user, I thought the new
> installer in fedora 18 was bad implementation of a decent but
> unpolished idea.

I can't comment on Fedora 18's installer, as I've never used it.  I
installed Fedora 17 and then used fedup to update to 18, 19, and then 20
alpha.

However, due to a problem in 20 alpha (actually, several problems, but
the primary one was its failure to interact with my FreeIPA domain) I
had to roll my system back to Fedora 19, so I used the installer.

I found more than one problem with it, and I was actually going to start
a thread about it, but since you've already done so...

My system is an MSI 970A-G46, which has UEFI as well as a BIOS which can
run in the context of the UEFI firmware.  The firmware implementation
is, so far, just fine.  However, Fedora 17 would /*not*/ install in UEFI
mode, so I had to install it using the BIOS emulation.  That was less
than ideal, but whatever.

Fedora 19 /did/ install in UEFI mode, /but it required two separate
installs!/  Well, actually, /three/.  Ish.

*Attempt the first*:  Found that booting in UEFI mode didn't matter to
the installer if the disk had an existing MBR but no GPT. Could have
been handled in the installer code, but for whatever reason, it was
not.  Not terribly surprising, though; I can see the assumption that the
user wishes to keep the familiar unless they're installing on a
brand-new disk to be reasonable.  So, I used parted and created a new
GPT table on the device.  The installer refused to see the changes,
though, so a restart of the installer was required.

*Attempt the **/second/*: Again, booted in UEFI mode. Selected Cinnamon
desktop (it's what I've been using the most lately, outside of my
experimental GNUstep environment) and all add-on features.  After about
an hour or so of churning (egads, I _*/really/*_ hate the inefficiencies
of the RH method of package management), the installer *crashed*.  Why?
"Failed to remove the existing bootloader."  Duh, there wasn't one to
remove.  Okay, well, fine. So, I spent another hour trying to get the
mostly-installed system functional.  At this point, I really want to
have a talk to the person that thought it was a good idea to run all of
the post-installation tasks after the bootloader installation. /The
bootloader installation should be the last blooody thing done, so that
if it fails, the system can at least be bootstrapped manually and
repaired./  Instead, the system had all its binaries and no
configuration, and the amount of configuration in the post-install
process performed by Anaconda is non-trivial, so...

*Attempt the /third/:* Again, UEFI booted the install media.  Overwrote
the installation with just a Cinnamon install, no add-ons.  Waited
another hour (/what?! I asked the installer to install nearly 800 less
packages, and it took the same amount of time?!  Next time, I'm just
going to go ahead and install them all anyway, then./) for the system to
churn about and /this/ time the bootloader installation worked,
post-install tasks ran, and I was on my merry frickin' way.

I *did* check out the manual installer.  I reasoned that it was about as
usable as lead for disk partitioning, so I simply used parted.  Luckily,
that can be done in a VT alongside the installer, but as I mentioned
above, a restart of the installer is required for it to detect that
you've made any changes to the media; simply running partprobe or kpartx
isn't enough.

Sigh.

     --- Mike

--

	Michael B. Trausch

President, *Naunet Corporation*
? (678) 287-0693 x130 or (855) NAUNET-1 x130
FAX: (678) 783-7843